Home Forums EYFS SST Task

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LaurenClay
    Participant

Sorry me again! I have a question about SST as I’m just looking at the activity and reading Kathy Brodie’s book.

The formal definition is:
    An episode in which two or more individuals ‘work together’ in an intellectual way to solve a problem, clarify a concept, evaluate activities, extend a narrative etc. Both parties must contribute to the thinking and it must develop and extend (Sylva et al. 2004:36)

However, I have an observation of a group of children in my setting whom were engaging in child initiated, child led, house building play. They were collecting mud together using different tools and then using the mud to spread on the bricks to see if they’d stick together because the leaves didn’t work… but two of the children out of the three have very poor language. They did engage in conversation, they mostly repeated the words that one child was saying, but it was clear that the children were collaborating and trying different things together to build this house.
    (In a nut shell)

Would this be considered an example of SST?
    How do babies engage in SST as peers or is it mostly adult/child SST?

Thank you 🙂

NIckyb
    Participant

Hello

Yes I would say that the children were engaged in peer to peer SST – also indicates peer to peer scaffolding with the children repeating words. The trial and error and collaborative working is definitely and example of the children working together to solve a problem / extend their play narrative!

I would say with the babies it is mainly adult to baby SSAt using non verbal methods of communicating – think back to the slide on Laura during one of the CPLS days!

LaurenClay
    Participant

Thanks Nicky that’s much clearer 🙂

NIckyb
    Participant

SST TASk

Some help….

In your analyses of the transcript explore the following:
    positive relationships , the unique child , open questioning and effective dialogue, creative and critical thinking, the child’s interest.

What areas of learning and development are being supported?
    How could the episode be further extended.

Submit to your non allocated lead consultant via email by 5pm – Friday 11th December.

Remember to ask your external mentors for support and guidance

Good luck people – you’ve got this!
    Nicky

LaurenClay
    Participant

Love this advice! Thank you x

Jade
    Participant

Hello, I am in the process of completing the SST task. I am just wondering if we reference like we usually would when we completed assignments for uni and do we need to have a reference list at the end?

NIckyb
    Participant

Hi Jade ,

You don’t have to reference but if you’re happy too then we would be happy for you to include!! I always think is helpful to provide a reference list at the end!

Nicky

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.