Home Forums EYFS PORTFOLIO REVIEW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    NIckyb
    Participant

Hi all,

Please post any questions about your ongoing portfolio development onto this page and we will do our very best to provide you with some advice, guidance and suggestions.
    Alternatively you can email Nicky or Amanda with your questions / concerns.

Ajames
    Keymaster

Abi has kindly shared a piece of work she has undertaken for her Additional Placement project. She has used the 0-2 Supplementary Materials that Nicky and I put together to audit practice and provision.

This, along with the SSTEW, would not only support your projects if you have chosen a similar focus but would also provide an excellent piece of evidence for your portfolio if you have already conducted an audit using either of the documents.

Attachments:
    KCunningham78
    Participant

Hi ladies,

Gaps that I am a little concerned about are:

5.1, 5.3, 5.5
    6.1, 6.2, 6.3
    7.1, 7.2, 7.3

Thanks šŸ™‚

Ajames
    Keymaster

Hi Kirsty,

Listed below are some ideas for evidence (that you might be able to access remotely) and if I think of any more, I’ll continue to add along with anyone else!

2.1: Any redacted tracking documents that you then annotate to reflect how you adapted practice/provision to meet a child’s emerging needs; any evidence you have on your tracked child, with a reflective log on how you adapted practice from one element of observation; element of your setting plan, with reflection, showing how you have adapted provision to meet children’s emerging needs

3.1: You could relate this to one of the earliest tasks we gave you – when we gave you a bank of popular theories and you had to choose one to discuss at the next CPLD day. Choose one and do an annotation around how it informed and changed your/other’s practice; have a look at the babies/child development CPLD day powerpoints and do some more research on an area that interests you and annotate with how it will inform practice; use the 0-2 Supplementary Materials document, take a section and use it as a guide to reflect on practice in your own setting.

4.5: I would really use your setting plan here. You could take one element and provide some research that you’ve conducted to inform the changes made; you could take another part and reflect on how the practice of yourself/others has changed in response to the change in provision; you could take another part and outline the impact it’s had on children’s learning/development. Even if the impact has not been as good as you had hoped, still worth reflecting on and what you’d do in the future.

5.1: Read the amplification, if you have any children that you’ve worked with who fall into any of these categories, then reflect on the behaviours they exhibited, strategies that staff employed, setting protocols, liaising with parents and outside agencies. You could also do some research on outside agencies/organisations that support some of the factors e.g. family break up/bereavement and outline strategies that you could use and you could put together an information poster/leaflet for staff/parents.

5.3:Reflect on the policies/procedures of your own setting and include any redacted information on particular children that you can, outlining strategies employed; you could refer to the inclusion CPLD day powerpoint and expand on some of the activities here, such as considering some of the scenarios or ‘Aldo goes to school’ (attached). You could also research the school where you did your KS1 placement or other local primaries and see what they have in place for EAL children and consider what strategies you could use/adapt in your own setting.

5.5: Again, reflect on outside agencies that have worked in your own setting, using any redacted referrals or blank sheets or protocols that the setting has used. You could also do some research around your Local Offer in connection to some of the agencies listed in the amplification. You could also take an area such as Speech and Language and research this further – The Communication Trust is a great way to start and the ‘Universally Speaking’ documents are really informative.

6.1: if you have evidence of completing a 2 year check, include that here with an annotation around the implications for practice/provision. If not, then source a blank one (either from your setting or from an example online) and outline the kinds of things you might be observing for children who at, below, exceeding ARE. You could also do some research on primary schools to see how they approach completing an EYFS profile, reference this to the gov guidelines (profile handbook).

6.2: Reflect on all the ways your setting informs parents of their children’s progress and critically evaluate it. I have attached an audit that might help. You could also consider how you adapt practice/provision in response to information parents have given you on their child.

6.3: Refer to all the ways you give feedback to parents and especially children – how does your setting engage in SST, formative assessment? Use the SSTEW document and maybe Julie Fisher’s ‘Interacting or interfering’ to reflect on whole staff effectiveness.

7.1:Take elements of ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ and consider how they are practically enforced, including how the setting ensures that all staff are kept up to date and practically engage with it daily. Include any training certificates (within 2 years) with annotations on how it informed your practice.

7.2:Outline all the daily practices here, including how you engage children in keeping themselves safe and healthy. Refer to government/WHO guidance on healthy eating and exercise – what part does the setting play in informing children/parents?

7.3: Use some scenarios and outline how you would respond. You could include a mock cause for concern form. You could include the categories of abuse and what signs to look out for and who you would inform, including outside agencies.

8.4:You could outline the range of strategies that you used when working with colleagues on your Additional Placement Project/Change Project/Setting Plan including how you addressed lack of engagement, resistance to change, lack of resources, professional dialogue, including parents, sharing your ideas/vision, using data/evidence as a reason for change, feedback from stakeholders etc.

I hope that helps but happy to provide more if you need it!

Attachments:
    NIckyb
    Participant

Hi Kirsty.

for 5.3 you could also use any visual tools that you use in your setting to support children , for example a visual time table , a ‘first… this… then’ board / choosing board / use of a sand timer / low level distraction area / sensory resources.

Nicky

KCunningham78
    Participant

Super helpful – thanks so much!

Ajames
    Keymaster

Hi All,

I’ve just picked up a couple of really good questions about evidencing two sub-standards remotely from Shannon and thought I’d share with you.

Sub-standard 3.3: you could refer to the CPLD day at the beginning of the year (KS1/2) and reflect on the differences between subjects on offer/how they are organised etc. like one of the activities we got you to do at the time.

You could also track an area (PD is a good one) and outline how this changes from EYFS into KS1/2.

In terms of the critical understanding element of the sub-standard, you could review the proposed new Early Learning Goals (I’ve attached a simplified version for you) and reflect on what you think the pros and cons are.

You could also look at a couple of documents that have heavily influenced policy, The Tickell Report and Bold Beginnings (both attached). Choose one and again, outline the pros and cons for practice.

Shannon also asked about using the SSTEW to evidence 8.6. Good idea, although of course the purpose of the SSTEW is to observe practice. However, in this instance if you just choose one item and reflect on the practice that you know in your setting or your own practice, this would work. I have created simplified versions of each of the SSTEW items, so if you want a particular one just let me know and I’ll send it. If you do complete one for evidence, just provide an annotation on what you think the implications for future practice are and what impact you would hope to see.

Attachments:
    KCunningham78
    Participant

Amanda, You mentioned an attached audit in your reply to me for 6.2. I can’t seem to see it? Could you attach again pls? Thank you šŸ™‚

Ajames
    Keymaster

Hi Kirsty,

Apologies, totally overlooked that! I’ve attached it now, along with a couple of journals that might be of interest around parent partnerships – covers quite a few sub-standards!

Attachments:
    KCunningham78
    Participant

Perfect – thank you so much!

Kellilou92
    Participant

Hi ladies,

Gaps that I am a little concerned about are:

5.1, 5.3, 5.5
    6.1, 6.2, 6.3
    7.1, 7.2, 7.3

Thanks šŸ™‚

Hi guys Iā€™m just going though my portfolio and a bit stuck at what to use as evidence for 5.1 any suggestions would be appreciated hope you are all well and staying safe šŸ™‚

Hi Kirsty.

for 5.3 you could also use any visual tools that you use in your setting to support children , for example a visual time table , a ‘first… this… then’ board / choosing board / use of a sand timer / low level distraction area / sensory resources.

Nicky

NIckyb
    Participant

SSTEW Reading audit exemplar

Abi has kindly agreed for us to add her completed reading audit ( attached) for reference – thanks Abi!

Attachments:
    Kimberley Brightley
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I have only just discovered this forum and wanted to thank everyone who has commented already. I have gained some many ideas. Such as with 3.1!

Thankyou all so much for sharing your ideas.

AmyClifton1
    Participant

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all okay?

I’m a bit stuck on 5.2 at the moment – I was planning on having a mentor observation as a piece of evidence but will have to change this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Amy

AmyClifton1
    Participant

Oh and also 8.7 please! Any ideas would be great x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.