Home Forums EYFS PLANNING THEMES CPLD day 02

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NIckyb
    Participant

Plan how you are going to develop one of the themes from today in your setting:

Sustained Shared Thinking
    Language rich environment (from the audits from last week and theory sessions today)
    Maths provision (from developmental milestones and SSTEW activity)

EmmaThornton
    Participant

In my setting, I would like to ensure that we are providing children with the building blocks to excel mathematically. As a setting we have a wide range of resources that I believe could be used more appropriately.

Firstly I would like to make sure that all mathematical resources are NOT restricted to the maths area, and that they are being used throughout all areas. For example number fridge magnets and scales in the home corner.

We have welcomed two new children who do not speak English. I will be looking at different ways to help these children with their mathematics and trying to overcome the language barrier, so that they also are being given the building blocks to develop mathematically. I will be researching into visual aids and if there are any EAL resources available.

I will be conducting a walk around the room to ensure that frequent and varied opportunities are available for all of the children to recognise patterns and extend the learning they already have.

After updating the room, I will then discuss the changes in the next staff meeting, and explain the positive impact that these small changes can make for the children to succeed in mathematics. I will also remind the staff the importance of promoting a ‘can do’ attitude and quality interactions.

Emma πŸ™‚

NIckyb
    Participant

HI Emma

Thank you for your thoughts on how to improve maths provision within your setting. I think having maths embedded within continuous provision is so much more effective than have a specific maths area.
    I was just thinking about maths in outdoor environment and games such as hopscotch / What’s the time mister wolf/ parachute games and so on could be used especially for the children with EAL as they might copy / imitate the other children?

EmmaThornton
    Participant

Thankyou Nicky,

I will give that a try tomorrow!

summertynan
    Participant

from today I will be planning on adding more mathematics into the room.

I will put scales, recipe books, jugs into the home corner to ensure that they are using mathematical skills by measuring and using this to then recognise numbers also.

Within the small world and construction area, I will include some number lines and numbers on the blocks and stick numbers on to the small world animals/toys.

We also have numicon and different 2D and 3D shapes within the room so will be incorporating these in the room more to get the children to recognise shapes.

NIckyb
    Participant

Great ideas Summer !
    How could you develop your ideas in the outdoor environment?

summertynan
    Participant

outdoor learning is one of my targets from my mentor. We currently have a forest schools leader so going to talk with her.
    But have chalk outside to write numbers, hopscotch, find the numbers written on the fence, counting the amount of conkers they can find in the garden.

COScitt2020
    Participant

In my breakout group we talked about table prompts to support a language-rich environment and also sustained shared thinking between the adult working with children. Attached are some of the examples I use at work.
    I will also be promoting sustained shared thinking in my setting by using more open ended questions and words like “I wonder” instead what have you made?

Cynthia

Attachments:
    NIckyb
    Participant

Good idea Summer!
    Thank you for sharing Cynthia!
    Nicky

Hi Emma

I have a lot of EAL children in my setting, sometimes 50 % of my children at a time. We have a talking pen which has been fantastic to have some simple conversations with the children, like do you need the toilet or mummy back soon. We used it a lot last year with a polish girl and it really helped her confidence grow. We bought it with some pupil premium money we had. here is a link.

https://www.tts-group.co.uk/eal-key-phrases-pack-with-penpal/EY07776.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5Kv7BRBSEiwAXGDElSBMnvKEhKI1n8Iu_Y_Wb_hw1edkudYfj1ffa8mqUCjT7w9cK7BLtxoC-p8QAvD_BwE#

NIckyb
    Participant

Wow thanks for sharing this Debbie!

Nicky

Rosieewles13
    Participant

I plan on developing Sustained Shared Thinking in my setting.

I plan on doing this by giving the staff the SST log so they can reflect on their own practice and room leaders can reflect on the practice of the practitioners in their room.

I will use the transcripts of the two conversations as a group task where staff read/discuss them in either a staff meeting or in their room meetings and have them discuss which transcript was more effective/why and how they can then take what they’ve learnt forward in their own practice.

The SST logs I will use in staff supervisions so we can both reflect on their practice and how they can foster more aspects from the log.

Hopefully this will mean better knowledge of what SST is across the setting, meaning more quality interactions for all children πŸ™‚

KathrynLlewelyn
    Participant

I plan to develop sustained shared thinking in my setting.

Most of the staff show high quality interactions but I have noticed some staff struggling when interacting with children and not using the correct language. They are interfering a lot instead of observing first.

I would like to try and develop their practice by filming them and then showing them and getting them to reflect on how effective they think it was and if they developed that child’s learning. I will also try to model how to interact with the children and show them that stepping back and observing will work better and show them that silence is okay. I could also show them clips on youtube on good interactions. πŸ™‚

I am going to look at introducing sustained shared thinking into my setting. I think it is something that we do a lot of without realising we are doing it. We observe the children and model play, turn taking and sharing. We have conversations with the children and extend their thinking about a subject but there are missed opportunities and times when staff should just step back like in transcript 1. I like the idea of sharing the transcripts with my team at a staff meeting and getting them to discuss. I feel I have learnt so much today I just want to share it with them and want my whole team doing the course!
    If anyone finds any good you tube clip examples of good practice could you share?

LM1234
    Participant

In my setting I am going to share the sustained shared thinking log and the transcripts with them and encourage them to reflect on their own practice. I will suggest carrying out peer observations on this and then come together to discuss any possible areas of improvement as a team.

As well as this, I will share the maths activity pack and review how we are supporting maths development within the environment. The practitioners use maths language effectively throughout the day but I would like to add more visual number support within the room.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by LM1234.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.