Home Forums EYFS Maths

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ajames
    Keymaster

Good to see you all yesterday and hope you enjoyed the maths day with the fabulous Gill!

As mentioned in the chat, you have the option to create a lesson plan from the cardinality and counting progression guidance supplied yesterday (and attached below).

You can upload your plans here. They can be used as evidence for sub-standards 3.3 (curricular continuum) and 3.5 (early maths) as well as standard 8 if there is evidence here that you have informed fellow trainee’s practice.

We will also be posting extra maths support resources here shortly, so watch this space!!

Attachments:
    LaurenClay
    Participant

I did a lovely activity with my children today. We counted their eyes! Was brilliant because they stayed focussed on my during circle time too because they all wanted to show me their two eyes (haha)

We also watched numberblocks today and the children were very excited. We set up a cinema and sat and enjoyed the movie (it’s only 5 minutes)

I’ve spoken to staff about yesterday’s zoom lecture too, discussed the things we do in Pre-school which prep the children for school (building those mastery skills) to raise awareness really, so that was interesting.

Thanks for yesterday it was insightful

Ajames
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing that Lauren, what a super exercise! I love the movie idea.

Don’t forget to use your dissemination of yesterday to staff as evidence for standard 8!

AnamariaC
    Participant

I did a lovely activity with my pre-schoolers on Friday for Numeral meaning, so we had pictures of objects (butterflies, cupcakes etc) on a small laminated picture with numbers at the bottom (eg 1,4,6) so they had to count how many objects are there and find the correct numeral meaning. They then had to trace over that number so this was the way we extended the learning. We talked about how to allocate numbers to quantity and they just loved it.

I shared some of the papers we have from Gill with my colleagues and discussed about Mastery and they found this very helpful and interesting. Thank you for a lovely session.

SabrinaMarano
    Participant

Could somebody help me please, with the maths task, the questions at the end are they based on the videos we just watched or the maths day?

Thank you, Sabrina!

NIckyb
    Participant

HI

They are on the video but the reflection section is the whole day

Nicky

sarahcampbell
    Participant

The day with Gill I found so interesting and it has made me look out for maths provision more in my setting and given me more of an idea to help in observations of children in maths.

An activity I’m going to do with the children this week is a sheep comparing game. They will practice counting out the total and compare sets. The children will throw a dice and say what number they can see. They will count the corresponding black sheep onto the ‘field’. They will throw again and say the number and count the white sheep. I will ask they how many sheep they have all together and see if they can find the numeral to match the number of sheep they have. I will ask if they have more black or more white ( or the same ) and to extend I will see if they can work out how to make the number the same.

despinaarsalides
    Participant

This day with Gill was very interesting. I was able to reflect on my practice and how I should adapt my approaches in teaching early mathematics effectively – in order to create positive experiences for children. With this, I created a lesson plan (of a ladybird hunt) aiming to promote counting – using the cardinality and counting progression guidance. Currently I am in the baby room and was not able to conduct this activity. However, I spoke to a few colleagues about the training day and shared some strategies and techniques to use within there practice. On my behalf, I asked a colleague if it was possible to carry out my activity with children aged 2-3. My colleague managed to carry out my activity and noticed how children were able to understand the concept of counting the dots rather than looking at the number. Although I did not carry out the activity it was great to hear the feedback on how the children reacted to the activity. I have asked a colleague if they could do this activity within our nursery class (which will be carried out this week hopefully)

NIckyb
    Participant

Thank you all as ever for your contributions – it sounds as though Gill has had a massive impact on your understanding of supporting early maths – great to hear of so many examples of how you are applying this to practice in order to effectively support the children’s mathematical development!

linhquanscitt2020
    Participant

I really enjoyed the maths session delivered by Gill. It was really interesting. The session gave me a good understanding and knowledge of different methods to support teaching early years mathematics.
    I have been able to create an maths audit and used this to see how we are currently teaching and supporting mathematics with our toddlers. After the maths sessions, I have also been able to reflect on how I support mathematics and have been thinking about more ways to support our children in the setting. I would like to support maths teaching in different ways and in everyday play. For example, I did a lovely activity last Friday with some of my key children planting flower bulbs. We did some counting, as the children put the bulbs in the plant pots. The conversation then moved onto counting buttons on our coats, as it was a cold morning and the children were all wrapped up.

Ajames
    Keymaster

What a lovely example and really shows the effectiveness of engaging children in maths through everyday, real-life activities.

There is a lovely book out there, full of super practical maths ideas. ‘Messy Maths’ by Juliet Robertson – I highly recommend it!

linhquanscitt2020
    Participant

Thank you Amanda. I will have a look at the book. I would like to continue to improve my practice by engaging children in math’s through real life, everyday activities.

I found it a really interesting day. I went back to my setting and noticed how many numbers we already have around in the environment. Just in the home corner there was a clock, scales, numbers on the oven and phones.
    We have a small white board on the wall where we write the number of children in, since the day I have shared with my team about displaying the number in various ways and the patterns of numbers we find on things like dice. We now write the number, write the number as a word and draw out a combination of dice or a 10 frame with dots to show the number again.
    I planned an activity for a little boy who loves keys. I bought some padlocks and wrote numbers on them, I then put a dice picture of matching numbers into key rings with the keys. The idea was to count the dots on the dice and then match with the correct number padlock. If he was correct the padlock would open, he loved it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.