Home Forums EYFS CPLD day 8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ajames
    Keymaster

Powerpoint attached.
    Forum discussion for this afternoon ‘Welcome to Holland’ Read the extract

Reflect: How did this extract make you feel? How might this impact upon your practice working in partnership with parents of child with diagnosed / undiagnosed SEND

Interim task: Research the rationale and write a reflective log on the introduction of the 2 year progress check in 2012

Attachments:
    LaurenClay
    Participant

Love the Welcome to Holland. It really hits home for me, as we lightly discussed, Nicky. My 16 year old son has always been different to the other children in his classes and from my own children. He has been hard, hard work! My first born, my baby, and I was only his age now when i found out I was pregnant, so just a child myself. But he taught me so much about the world. Different outlooks and perspectives. I love to discuss with parents when they comment on their own child’s quirky or challenging behaviours and say “I know this feeling”.

Yesterday he bought me a Mother’s Day gift and that is something he has never done before. He has always been too awkward. But he sort of threw it at me in embarrassment and ran off! haha. I am so proud of my quirky boy, and although we refused assessment because it was too distressing for him, I am confident he is finding his way into adulthood 🙂

NIckyb
    Participant

Hi Lauren ,

I am glad you liked the extract. I can empathise with your experiences with your son. My youngest also was ‘different’ from my first 2 children and other kids we knew and it was incredibly hard work at times especially when he was little. I found other parents views and attitudes to be at times quite judgemental ( including some of my own family members!) so I do know first hand how hard it can be for parents of children with ANY kind of additional need – maybe thats why I’m so passionate about early childhood development!

LaurenClay
    Participant

Maybe that’s why I am too, but i am so happy to have people around me who are equally as passionate as I am 🙂 Team EYFS rock!

NIckyb
    Participant

Standard 5 – examples of portfolio evidence from brainstorming session today ( Nicky’s group)

5.1 – Profile of individual child needs / sensitivities and strategies put in place e.g ear defenders
    5.1 – reflective log – supporting child experiencing anxiety due to house move
    5.1 – case study of child experiencing bereavement

5.2 – reflective log / observations of baby room and interview with baby room leader
    5.2 – reflective log on how parents and children’s emotional well being has been supported throughout the Covid pandemic

5.3 – Copy of child outcome form , adaptations to provision, short term targets and termly review
    5.3 – One plan meeting and outcomes plus time for review
    5.3 – photos of adaptations to reading area for child with SEN
    5.3 – Activity plan and observations demonstrating how provision is differentiated

5.4 – transition notes and plan for child with SEN transition to new school. photo book
    5.4 – Use of sand timers to support transitional times of the day , supporting turn taking , promoting self regulations skills
    5.4 – Observation and reflective log. Use of ‘ work in progress signs’ use of sand timers – supporting transitional times of day, supports child’s understanding of ‘ whats next’
    5.4 – transition policy supporting in setting transitions
    5.4 – All about me form , new starter Welcomm assessment

5.5 – colourful semantics – reflective log
    5.5 – TAF meeting notes and minutes

Rosieewles13
    Participant

I really enjoyed reading ‘Welcome to Holland’ and I thought the Italy/Holland analogy was a great way of explaining what a confusing and unsettling time it can be for parents when their child is born with additional needs or they become apparent in childhood. I definitely feel it highlights how important it is as practitioners to really support these parents and give them as much guidance as we can, and to make them and their families feel accepted into the nursery community.
    Amanda shared the story today of a teacher who flung it upon a parent that their child may need a screening for autism without any warning and of course the parent felt completely blind-sided. I think this shows how important it is to always be in communication with a parent if you feel there may be a possibility of the child having additional needs, so that you can help and support them along their journey.

summertynan
    Participant

Reading this makes me feel sad that they go through these emotions and struggle. I think their should be support groups to help people. But this is such an amazing read!
    This shows me that parent partnership is very important and very much needed when looking at children with SEND because some parents may not understand who know how to support the child. So information should always be passed on and having meetings would be very beneficial.

despinaarsalides
    Participant

Welcome to Holland!
    This is such an emotional yet powerful read. I love working in partnerships with parents to support the child to fulfil their developmental goals. Reading this point of view has honestly opened my eyes widely in the ways we communicate with and to parents especially when raising a concern. When raising concerns, its also considering how parents may feel or react to this as they may not know how to handle this information which then means its our role to support them as this may be a new experience for them.
    Towards the end of reading this, it did remind me of how rewarding it is to work with children. There are day which are tough but within those days, you will observe something/one which makes you smile and then say to yourself ‘that’s why I am in this profession. Being a part of the the process, the journey of children’s development is so purposeful.
    Tomorrow at work, I will be sharing this article to staff for them to reflect on their practice when communicating with parents.

AnamariaC
    Participant

Welcome to Holland!

This is such an emotional reading! Although we all as practitioner know how hard is for those parents who “landed” somewhere-else than planned is, when reading this made me understood better their feelings, how hard and shocking can be when something like this happens and does not go as planned. We all had at some point something that did not go as planned but as a mum I cannot imagine how would’ve I felt to go through something like this. It’s overwhelming and those parents and their children need our support, our empathy and reassurance!

I personally appreciate those parents a lot, their work should not go unseen, although children are supported in schools/nurseries behind those are their parents so a big well done for all them!!

I do not have much experience with SEN but one of my key children is going now through this process of being assess and I had couple of meetings with his mum and it was very hard, seeing her so scared, with so many different feelings…just overwhelming!!!

Stories like this make me think about what I have, made me think how silly I am when I complain about silly stuff..and give me a good awakening to appreciate how wonderful the life is and make me want to live the moment as you never know what might happen tomorrow!

Reading the extract really brings home the difficulties and emotions a family could be feeling when they realise their child may be different and their life journey might not be as they had planned. I think sometimes as professionals seeing things in children who may need extra support is part of our everyday job and maybe we take it in our stride that the child may have difficulty with speech, or they struggle to engage with their peers or show signs of ASD. I think i underestimate the conversations we then have with parents that will affect them not only just that day but potentially for the rest of their lives. The uncertainty this brings and where they turn to next for support must be so taunting so keeping those friendly open door opportunities there for the family must be some comfort to them and we should not underestimate the importance of the parent partnerships we have.

AnamariaC
    Participant

There is my reflective long on 2yr check. Thanks

Attachments:

My reflective log on 2 year progress checks

Attachments:
    sarahcampbell
    Participant

We have been living in ‘Holland’ for the last nine years with our middle son who is autistic and has learning difficulties. We can relate to this as he is ‘different’ to other children and it is hard to find the right guidebooks and things don’t always make sense. My understanding and empathy for others has certainly grown. I have learnt lots through the process and we are still learning the language.

linhquanscitt2020
    Participant

This extract is an interesting read, it has explained and provided me with a view of how a parent has felt when having a baby, having made the plan and getting really excited and then having to change it.
    I think it is so important to have a good parent partnership, particularly when parents find their child needs extra support and experiencing this for the first time, not knowing what to do or how to support their child. I haven’t had very much experience with SEN, but I do know that as a professional, it is our role to consistently communicate with parents about their child’s learning and development, so that it isn’t suddenly a big shock to them. When raising a concern, it is important to consider how the parents will feel, respond and be able to support them as much as we can by providing guidance and directing parents to the right support of other professionals.

summertynan
    Participant

My 2 year check reflection.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.