Home Forums EYFS – Cambridge Hub CPLD Day 3 Forum Discussion – Schema

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kblayney
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Following on from our Whiteboard exercise (see attached) that we did at our last session, please feel free to add your ideas for how you can plan practice and develop provision to support 2 of the schemas (under 3’s) that are identified on the PowerPoint /schema leaflet.

Attachments:
    hayleyauffret
    Participant

Interestingly I currently have a child that is following several schemas, particularly rotation and enveloping. The rotation schema has been worked in to our planning and as I work in a Reggio Inspired setting it has created a project for the 0-2’s. For rotation we have set up several methods of rolling (as balls are a firm favourite, but also any cylindrical container that can be emptied and rolled!). This looks like a ball run inside using large cardboard tubes and different heights of cable drums/blocks. A ball run outside made of different pieces of guttering. A small world car area with different planks running from heights. And different types of ride on/push along cause toys.
    The enveloping schema happens throughout the session in which we respect and courage exploration. Crawling under the home corner table to explore their favourite rotation toys is common. They also like to experiment with crawling through a shelving unit with square holes. We are just beginning to explore this and introduce ways to use this and are planning to introduce large cardboard boxes, to be climbed inside/crawled through but can also be used by children to mark make on.

I hope this info has been helpful! I would really love to hear any thoughts/plans/practice of children with a trajectory schema!

kaydimelow
    Participant

Wow Hayley – you are really accommodating their repeating patterns of trialing what objects do, in different environments and providing really rich resources for continued exploration and experimenting. Have you been able to share what you are observing with parents at all- I wonder if the children continue the kind of play you are observing in your room at home.
    Kay D

kaydimelow
    Participant

There is a really good book,
    Schemas: A Practical handbook, written by Laura England.
    It explains the theory but has chapters on the different schemas which contain practical ways of supporting children in schema – using everyday things.
    Kay D

I highly recommend poking fairy lights through the top of the cardboard boxes, also I’ve hung colourful long socks or thick ribbons (at a non strangling length!) too, it creates a really sensory environment. Even a torch attached to the top to create a spotlight in the bottom of the box which creates a lovely small world enveloped opportunity . Ideas for trajectory Schema, I’d definitely recommend targets! Buckets, hoops and the children love painting targets and hanging them up. Paper planes are good too, as they rarely hurt and you have to put a lot of force behind throwing them which can be very satisfying, especially if you have any children throwing with aggression. Absolutely love facilitating schema planning and play!

hayleyauffret
    Participant

Joley – Thank you for all these ideas! I’m loving the ideas of creating a small world while supporting enveloping!

Kay – Yes we have started to share this with our parents. The child with the schemas has a very supportive family (Nan has a lot of Early Years experience) and has confirmed that his behaviour is similar at home and they encourage inquisitiveness. Some of our other parent’s have commented on how much their children love wheels, pushing things, rolling etc. when we have prompted conversations about what has been happening at Nursery. It’s great to have so many parents on board!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.